Discover UK Winter Wonderlands with the Caravan & Motorhome Club
With the festive season around the corner, the Caravan & Motorhome Club takes a look a selection of great Christmas markers near Club sites.
1. YORK – York’s Christmas celebrations are a big draw for locals and tourists alike, and with a packed programme of events it’s easy to see why. This year from 16th November you can buy handmade gifts, decorations, local delicacies and much more at the bustling stalls of the St Nicholas Fair. Perhaps you’d also like to take in a pantomime, visit the Ice Factor ice-skating rink or enjoy one of the themed weekends.
Where to stay nearby: York Beechwood Grange.
2. LAKE DISTRICT – The Lake District is a great place to visit this Christmas . For example, the annual Winter Craft Fair at Brantwood (near Coniston) will host a wide range of stalls run by local craftspeople(11th – 12th November) while Keswick’s Traditional Christmas Fayre (3rd December) will have 30 decorated charity stalls, live music, street entertainment and a Santa’s grotto. Meanwhile, a community Christmas fair will draw crowds to Milnthorpe on 2nd December.
Where to stay nearby: Coniston Park Coppice.
3. EDINBURGH – Returning to it’s traditional venue at East Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh’s long-running Christmas market (18th November to 6th January) will be split into Scottish and European sections. Nearby Santa Land has a children;s market and a range of traditional rides, while little ones can also visit Santa’s grotto. And do look out for the advent calendar that will be projected onto General Register House; 25 different images of Edinburgh winters past will be revealed in the run up to Christmas Day.
Where to stay: Edinburgh.
4. BATH – A weekend in the historic and picturesque city of Bath will definitely get you into the festive spirit. More than 170 chalets full of Christmas gifts will pop up around the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey between 23rd November and 10th December. Over 85% of the stallholders represent businesses from Bath of the surrounding area, and retailers include manufacturers of ceramic tableware, handmade wooden toys, scented candles, funky jewellery, artisan cheeses and much much more. Away from the stalls you’ll also find live music, an ice rink and a glow-in-the-dark mini golf course.
Where to stay: Bath Chew Valley.
5. CARDIFF – Established in 1994, Cardiff’s Christmas Market is run by Craft*folK, an organisation that support artist in the area – in 2016 just under 200 Welsh businesses exhibited their diverse wares during the festive season. Organisers promise an eclectic mix of returning and new stalls this year, with the market schedules to run between 9th November and 23rd December. Seasonal food and drink will be available to keep shoppers warm on those crisp winter days.
Where to stay: Tredegar House Country Park
6. CHESTER – Chester’s pop-up market includes over 70 traditional wooden chalet, all situated around a sparkling Christmas tree and overlooked by the city’s historic cathedral. There is slant on local produce, so it’s perfect if you’re looking for a few stocking fillers or gifts for relatives that you won’t readily find elsewhere. Last year’s event was attended by a micro-brewery, a hat-maker and fudge seller, while this yea’r market will offer similar variety from 16th November to 20 December. There is late-night shopping on Thursdays (8pm), Fridays (7pm) and Saturday (7pm). Elsewhere, a number of fascinating parades will pass through Chester’s centre on different days.
Where to stay: Chester Fairoaks.
7. BIRMINGHAM – A huge German Christmas market – the largest outside of Germany – will be situated in Victoria Square and New Street between 16th November and Christmas Eve. Visitors can enjoy live, free on-stage entertainment, and a range of hot and cold food will be available, including German sausages, schnitzel, strudel, pretzels, crepes and Berliner doughnuts. You’ll be similarly spoilt for choice if you’re shopping for presents, with festive decorations, crystal lamps, wooden toys and baubles, among the gifts on offer. A neighbouring Christmas Craft Fair will be held in Centenary Square.
Where to stay: Chapel Lane
For more details visit http://www.camc.com/searchandbook